Friday, May 20, 2011

Tongue Twisters Give Power!

Why are there Tongue Twisters? This question may pop out from your mind whenever you encounter some.

When I was still a student, I’ve had lots of tongue twisters in my English classes; at first, I didn’t know their importance, because I was annoyed of reading words that rhyme and don’t even understand their meanings.

When I started teaching piano, voice and (especially) English, it was then I realized the importance of Tongue Twisters and how they can polish areas - specifically pronunciation.

Here are some reasons why Tongue Twisters are helpful:

1.Your concentration will be practiced and improved.
2.You understand what the tongue twisters tell you; they have meanings and stories to
tell.
3.You get to polish and master the sounds of each letter or combined letters.
4.You get to remember and the sounds in your mind because of the rhymed words.
5.You familiarize where to put stress in each word.
6.You’ll know the importance of punctuation marks, as they also play a big part in
English.
7.You differentiate letters and words that sound alike, but totally different to each
other.
8.To test and speed up your quickness in thinking and speaking.

Although some tongue twisters are grammatically incorrect, but their main objective is to practice and remember the sounds. Still, we follow the rules in Part of Speech and in English as a whole.

So, let’s practice! I attached some Tongue Twisters below:
- When a doctor falls ill another doctor doctor's the doctor. Does the doctor doctoring the doctor doctor the doctor in his own way or does the doctor doctoring the doctor doctors the doctor in the doctor's way?

- I thought a thought. But the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I thought. If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

- I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won't wish the wish you wish to wish.

0 comments:

Post a Comment